Monday 31 January 2011

Rachael


Approaching the RNLI station at Amble last summer, I was looking forward to viewing the new inshore rescue craft. Poking my nose inside the boathouse, a young girl offered me some guidance on its performance, GPS, radar and other technical issues about which it was blatantly obvious I did not fully understand and I gave up trying to pretend I did. Nevertheless, she persevered and did not lose faith in me!
In fact, her friendly manner was disarming and my first impression was that she must be around 17, 18 at most. Thinking it commendable that a young girl would have so much interest in the lifeboat,  I asked her how she knew so much about it, a family tradition perhaps? A voice spoke from behind me, her Grandfather proudly informing me that she is infact a crew member, I was stunned! She just didn't look old enough. I laughed at my own naiveity and enjoyed  Rachael's conversation as she showed me over the new boat.
This week, I met Rachael again and am inspired by her motivation and confidence. The commitment she shows towards the RNLI, the rest of the crew and the job we ask them to do is of course the same commitment given by every crew member, but her young voice is striking as she talks about the seven day a week call out, the busy bank holiday periods and fitting all of this around a job which pays her a wage. Hers is probably a lifestyle and level of responsibility we rarely attribute to a young person today.
Good luck with your training Rachael.

No comments:

Post a Comment