Thursday 22 July 2010

Puffin Cruises, Amble Harbour


Looking from the shore towards Coquet Island, for the whole of my childhood I wondered what it would be like to see the other side. I remember asking my Granda if he had ever seen it and he told me that he swam to the island regularly and knew exactly what it was like. Now I really don't know if this is true, perhaps my aunts and uncles can substantiate his story but I finally took the opportunity this summer to see for myself and sailed with Dave Gray on his Puffin Cruise.
Thousands of puffins and other seabirds flew overhead calling against the breeze, grey seals basked on the rocks behind the island and at long last I got to see the lighthouse close up and it is every bit as beautiful as I had imagined. The island, harbour and estuary of the Coquet are teeming with wildlife and all are a joy to see. I was enthralled by the experience and a little overwhelmed, enjoying it so much that I went straight back out with him on his next cruise, the best four quid I had spent all week!
Dave and his crew are people who have lived and worked in Amble all of their lives and have an amazing affinity with the sea and genuine respect for wildlife. They are willing to share their enormous knowledge if asked and from their conversation one can detect the supressed enthusiasm they have for their way of life and all that goes along with it.
Thank you for a wonderful afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment